Andreas Moutsioulis is a Greek-born guitarist and arranger with extensive experience across a variety of music genres. His western music studies together with the music of his middle-eastern roots have brought him close to different musical styles since an early age. This background of classical, pop, folk and world music has led him to the idea of blending and combining all these styles.
Having studied classical guitar at the Municipal Conservatoire of Thessaloniki, the Ionian University of Greece and the Mozarteum in Salzburg, Andreas began performing professionally at the age of 16. His appearances include concerts as a classical guitarist as well as performances as a session guitarist with bands and orchestras.
Between 2001 and 2011, Andreas toured extensively in Europe and the USA and has performed as a classical guitarist (solo and in ensembles) as well as being a leading guitarist in pop, folk and contemporary bands.
His love for the guitar and his wish to present new musical experiences to his audiences caused him to look for ways to broaden its repertoire and help the instrument to develop. Since 2008 he has made his own transcriptions for the guitar of works by composers of the wider musical repertoire. His arrangements include works of different styles and genres for solo guitar as well as for ensembles.
- Invited to join an orchestra as a soloist at the age of 16.
- 1st prize winner at the “Pan-Hellenic Student Guitar Competition”.
- 3rd prize winner at the international guitar competition “Chalkida 2000”.
- 2nd prize winner at the “International Guitar Festival of Corfu”.
- 1st prize winner at the “Naxos International Guitar Festival”.
- Holder of four titles in guitar performance from major European universities.
- Performance as a soloist with the “Athens Camerata” for HRH Princess Irene of Spain.
- Appearances in prestigious venues such as the Athens Concert Hall “Megaron” and the St. Martin-in-the-Fields, London.
- Interviewed repeatedly by the Hellenic National Radio and the BBC.
Andreas is an independent recording artist and music producer. He has released two CD albums of music for solo guitar. Both albums contain music of different styles and cultures, brought together as a unity. At present, he is working on a third album which will include his own compositions.
Together with performing, Andreas devotes time to teaching. Living in Bristol, UK at present, he teaches a number of promising students. Being a fan of technology, he also teaches students all around the world through Skype.
Andreas is a qualified teacher (QTS) and a member of the Incorporated Society of Musicians (ISM).